20 years of its foundation the School had already moved
three times. However, none of the accommodation used was
‘purpose built’ and many logistic difficulties were encountered.
the School moved to Eversley Court, its ‘home’ for over
40 years. Even here, despite the addition of a ‘new wing’
the outdated specialist facilities were considered inadequate for
the new era of Secondary education.
only in 1962, with the move to a new site in King’s Drive,
that the School was housed in ‘purpose built’ premises.
previously a Church in Saffrons Road comprising
a large hall (nave) with a slightly raised platform at one
end (chancel) and two adjoining small rooms (the vestries).
The accommodation was adequate whilst numbers were
small but they had increased to 100 by 1903.
later reported “that all classes were held in
one room; if anyone entered his ears would be assailed
by a medley of French and Latin phrases, (not always
accurately pronounced) geometrical and geographical
terms, whilst his nose would be affected by odours
arising from chemical experiments”.
land at the bottom of Grove Road given to the Borough by the
Duke of Devonshire to be used as Municipal Library and for educational
the Institute was officially opened in August 1904.
Moving the School to occupy
the whole of the second floor
satisfied the Duke’s proviso
and provided substantial and
well equipped accommodation.
Hampden Park on Wednesday
and Saturday but pupils had to
walk the streets at ‘playtime’
and ultimately seniors and
juniors were obliged to follow
certain prescribed routes,
thus preventing congestion in
Grove Road which had been
source of vexation to the
Headmaster and others’!
to the Railway Station extended the catchment area of
the School outside the Borough boundary as far north as Heathfield;
thus ‘County’, one of the final four Houses of the School
growth of the School in the period to the end of
the War (1918 – 235 pupils) meant it was imperative that new
accommodation be found.
large building built on a hill-top site to the north of the
Town Centre was bought for £9,250 by the Borough Council who
an extra £4,500 on adaptations and furnishing.
as an Edwardian family home it became a prep school
(Ascham) which located elsewhere and Royal Navy Air Service
quarters during the War.
inspection by the Board
of Education commended
the wisdom of the Council
“who had provided beautiful
surroundings conducive not
only to good health but to
absence of specialist
facilities the timetable had
to be constructed to allow
boys to travel to the Art
School and the ‘old’ Science
labs in the Technical
Institute. In due course
small extensions provided a
Gymnasium and Workshop
and a Library and Art Room
there were no facilities for Science Labs or an Assembly Hall
until 1930 when a new wing was constructed and according to the Head
“the Labs were admirably planned and equipped whilst the Hall,
not as large as we would have wished, was acoustically perfect”.
took place at Hampden Park and a playground (and drill
square) was provided by asphalting over a grass area; the other grass
area was ‘out of bounds’ and provided an attractive area
trees as the backdrop.
end of the War Eversley Court, once occupied with such delight,
was becoming increasingly shabby and the facilities (small rooms,
narrow corridors, outdated specialist facilities and no sports field
were considered inadequate for the new era of Secondary education
following the 1944 Act. An inspection report in the early 1950’s
the working of the School but severely criticised the premises and
inadequate conditions in which that work had to be done.
some year’s deliberation a new site on completely open land
off King’s Drive was approved in January 1957.
for the very first time
the School was housed in
purpose built premises, built
in two instalments and
officially opened in 1962,
as rooms became
available teaching was
gradually transferred there
over a period of eighteen
new facilities surrounded by sports fields were enjoyed
until amalgamation with the Girls High School in 1977 meant the end
of the Boys only Grammar School after 78 years and the beginning of
the present Comprehensive system in the Borough.
| The 'new' Eversley Court
| Back to top |