The sympathetic redevelopment of the ‘Old School’
site in St Anne's Road, by Berkeley Homes, has now been
completed with the new apartments commendably
designed to blend with the site’s historic ambience.

The retention on the name, ‘Eversley Court’, is certainly
one of the positive aspects to emerge. In addition the flats
have been built in an ‘L’ shape around the sacrosanct lawn!
This ‘holy-of-holies’ has been verdantly enhanced and is still
bordered by most of the revered and respected, long standing,
well tended evergreen oaks, trees and shrubs.

Additionally the two main entrances of ‘Eversley Court’
have some of the Old School’s original terracotta brickwork
retained and skilfully incorporated above their fetching
red brick lintels.

HOME
EVENTS
HISTORY
BUILDINGS
HEADMASTERS
STAFF
PUBLICATIONS
CONTACTS
REGISTRATION            
             
               
                           
                         
   


The plaque reads:

EVERSELEY COURT

Site of the former
Municipal Secondary
School and Eastbourne
Grammar School
1928-1962

Placed by Eastbourne
Old Grammarians’
Association by kind
permission of
Berkeley Homes -
July 2002

                       
                         
               
 
           
             

In September 2002 a commemorative plaque, mounted on
one of the original main gates’ entrance pillars, was unveiled
by the President and Committee Members.

Despite the fact that about 40% of current Members
do not remember the ‘Old School’, it is good to know that
the name ‘Eversley Court’ will live on!


Back to top