R. W. SHAW MA LIB 1951-1973
(Pictured with Head Boy and Prefects 1967)

A Scientist with a ‘First’ from Cambridge he came from a Northern
Grammar School to face a daunting task. Following the long tenure of
Mr Blackburn his two successors had stayed only briefly and many of
the Staff who had served twenty sometimes thirty years were beginning
to retire. Moreover the 1944 Education Act had to
be fully implemented
no more fee paying pupils, no Prep Department, an 11+ exam and
greater influence of politicians and the Education Committee.

Perhaps his greatest attribute was his policy of non-interference with
the enthusiasts.
In his first year he appointed a number of young staff
whom he backed to the hilt and they introduced new ideas and skills.

Appeals to him for
cash for worthy out of
classroom activities were
rarely unrewarded.

The result was that
under his direction the
School enjoyed what
was arguably the peak
of its achievement.

He was a planner and
organiser relying on his
Deputy (R. M. Owen)
for daily routine and the
dedication and efficiency
of his Secretary
(Miss A. Easther)
who
worked untold hours with
him both in term and
holidays.

Somewhat gruff and uneasy in Staff meetings he communicated by
means of near illegible notes pined on the Staff notice board; he was
however always open to a meeting with individuals and invariably
courteous, friendly and helpful.

Perhaps the greatest achievement of his tenure was the increasing
emphasis on academic achievement. The most
gifted boys were selected
for a ‘fast stream’ in order to especially improve chances of ‘Oxbridge’
entry in particular. Six of his pupils became University Professors. Other
aspects of School life were also developed; the House system was
strengthened, Rugby (his game) was developed to rival Soccer and
School Musical and Dramatic Activities greatly expanded.

To the boys he was tough but scrupulously fair; the middle years of his
Headmastership corresponded with the social upheavals and changing
relationships between the young and their elders and accordingly he
spent many hours guiding the difficult ‘back on the
rails’. With patience
he insisted to all pupils that standards of behaviour, courtesy and
appearance were pre-requisites for success in the adult world.

J. S. MORRIS MA 1973-1977
(Pictured with A. P. Hallam, Deputy Head, Head Boy and Prefects 1974)

He was appointed to oversee the development of the Comprehensive
system for which his wide experience proved especially valuable.

In one of his first Staff meetings he announced his aim to maintain the
existing Sixth Form eduction and ethos to make it available to a new
wider range of pupils. Before this he had to plan the merger of the
Grammar and High Schools whilst at the same time ensuring the
continuation of academic, sporting and cultural life.

The pastoral side of the School was strengthened by a new House
system which achieved its desired objective of encouraging greater
contact between School and parents.

Staff attended very many
meetings, some jointly with
the High School, whilst the
minutiae of amalgamation
was outlined, discussed,
argued, agreed and
minuted with the Head
having the final word!

All the planning took effect
when girls first entered
Kings Drive in September
1977 as pupils of the new
Grammar and High School.

Mr Morris continued as
Head of the new School
and, in 1979, as first
Principal of the Sixth Form
College (now Park College)
until his retirement.

The continued expansion of the College is based upon structures, some
well established in the Grammar School, which he put in place both to
ensure a smooth transfer and to maintain standards.


| Heads Page 1 | Back to top |

 
HOME    
EVENTS    
HISTORY    
BUILDINGS    
HEADMASTERS    
STAFF    
PUBLICATIONS    
CONTACTS    
REGISTRATION    
     
PHOTO OF 1952